We provide the following services
- Asthma Management – we work with you to develop and maintain an Asthma Management Plan and give you advice on how to measure your breathing capacity
- Blood Glucose Testing – in addition to being an NDSS agent for all your blood glucose test strips, needles and insulin pum consumables, we can provide an on the spot calibration for your device
- Blood Pressure Monitoring – using the industry leading Omron blood pressure monitor our trained staff will record your blood pressure reading and produce a printed report that you can take to your doctor or health professional on your next visit
- Bowel Cancer Screening – in conjunction with Bowelscreen Australia or the Dandenong Rotary Club (each May) we can provide take home Bowel Cancer screening kits
- Breast Pump Hire and attachments (Medela Symphony Breast Pump)
- Community Health Education/Promotion
- Complementary Health Therapies
- Compounding Services
- Consumer Medicine Information
- Continence Support and products
- Diabetes Management Support
- Diabetes MedsCheck – During the Diabetes MedsCheck consultation, our pharmacist will answer any questions you may have about all the medicines you are taking (prescription, non-prescription and complementary medicines), what each medicine is for, the correct dose, the potential side effects, and any problems you may have with your medicines or your blood glucose control. This is to help you better manage your diabetes and get the most out of your medicines to prevent any complications. The pharmacist will also provide information about blood glucose monitoring devices and training in how to use them. Ideally, take all your medicines and monitoring devices along with you to the consultation.At the end of the review, the pharmacist will give you a list of all the medicines you need to take, what they are for and when to take them. Together, you will agree on your healthcare goals and any action you may need to take, and any follow-up visits you may need with your doctor and other healthcare providers.
Am I eligible for a Diabetes MedsCheck?
You may be eligible for a Diabetes MedsCheck if you have type 2 diabetes and you:
- have a valid Medicare or DVA card
- are living at home in a community setting
- haven’t had a pharmacy MedsCheck, Diabetes MedsCheck, Home Medicines Review or Residential Medication Management Review in the past 12 months
- have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the past 12 months, or if you
- need help to manage your type 2 diabetes and
- don’t have access to existing diabetes education or health services in your community.
- Document certification and witness service
- Dose Administration Aids (Medicopacks) – One tablet once a day or five tablets four times a day, with Medico Pak your daily medication schedule is personalised by your pharmacist and made more convenient. Just tear off the correct dosage into your handbag or pocket as you leave the house and the chances of forgetting your medication are reduced instantly. All the details are printed on the back so you can even check on what you have and haven’t taken and when. No more multiple bottles and packets to carry around or dose times to remember, Medico Pak has made life easier for so many people who are on a regular medication schedule. Ask your pharmacist at Berwick Pharmacy about Medico Pak and stay on top of your medication
- Emergency Contraception (morning after pill)
- Health Aids & Equipment
- Hearing Screening
- Hepatitis C dispensing
- HIV dispensing
- Home Delivery Services (Individuals in Community)
- Home Medicines Review – A Home Medicines Review (HMR) is a comprehensive clinical review of a patient’s medicines in their home by an accredited pharmacist on referral from the patient’s general practitioner (GP). The patient may choose to be referred to their usual community pharmacy or an accredited pharmacist who meets the patient’s needs.The service involves cooperation between the GP, pharmacist, other health professionals and their patient (and, where appropriate, their carer). A HMR service improves the patient’s and health professionals’ knowledge and understanding about medicines, facilitates cooperative working relationships between members of the health care team in the interests of patient health and wellbeing and provides medication information to the patient and other health care providers involved in the patient’s care.
- Influenza vaccination
- Immunisation Services
- Medicine Reviews –MedsCheck is an in-pharmacy, consumer centred service which aims to enhance the quality use of medicines by:
- educating community based consumers about their medicines including how medicines affect medical conditions;
- identifying any problems they may be experiencing with their medicines; and
- understanding interactions between medicines.
- Medsassist Member Pharmacy –
- The pharmacist will assess the therapeutic need of a codeine medicine for the individual patient in accordance with the current practice for the supply of Pharmacist Only Medicines.
- The pharmacist will then ask for a photographic ID and seek consent to record the ID number in the system which is protected, controlled and operated by the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. It is only the unique number on the photographic ID that is recorded in the system. The system does not record other details such as name, date of birth and address.
- If the patient does not consent to providing a photographic ID card number for recording and monitoring in the system, the pharmacist may choose not to supply the medicine because they cannot be sure it is safe to do so. In such circumstances, the pharmacist may elect to offer alternative medicines or recommend other treatment options including referral.
- The pharmacist also records the name and the quantity of the requested codeine medicine and reviews any previous purchases of codeine medicine.
- If a supply is made based on therapeutic needs, the reason for use and recommended duration of use will be recorded in the system.
- If the pharmacist decides it is not therapeutically appropriate to supply a codeine medicine, they will explain the reason for this decision and may provide further clinical information or recommendations to support your health. This will also be recorded in the system.
- Mental Health Support
- Minor Ailments Support – Your pharmacist may be able to help with:
skin conditions, such as mild acne and mild eczema
coughs and colds, including nasal congestion and sore throat
minor cuts and bruises
constipation and haemorrhoids (piles)
hay fever and allergies
aches and pains, such as headaches, earache and back pain
indigestion, diarrhoea and threadworms
period pain and thrush
warts and verrucas, mouth ulcers and cold sores
nappy rash and teething
- Medadvisor Prescription Service – ask our pharmacists about joining Medadvisor
- Mobility and Home Health Equipment – at Berwick Pharmacy we can assist with our extensive range of high quality and affordable rehabilitation aids and mobility equipment. We will help you regain your independence and assist your recovery. We hire wheelchairs (a booking is required) but generally it is cheaper to buy items such as crutches, walkers, bedpans etc, due to the high cost of cleaning and the need to buy buy new components anyway (e.g. underarm pads). If you require a specialised item, generally we can obtain this for you within 24 hours. We carry a full range of crutches for those weekend sporting injuries.
- Needle and Syringe
- National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS)
- Project STOP – Project STOP is a decision making tool for pharmacists aimed at preventing the use of pseudoephedrine based products to manufacture methamphetamine. The system works by helping pharmacists to determine patients’ therapeutic needs. To participate in Project STOP, a pharmacist will need to ask you for photographic identification when you request a pseudoephedrine-based product. Project STOP operates in the following way:
The database records whether or not the sale was made.In some states and territories it is a legal requirement for pharmacists to record your name and address when supplying pseudoephedrine. Your pharmacist will only request this extra information if required by law.
The pharmacist decides whether or not to supply the product based on a determination of your therapeutic needs.
The database checks to see if your identification number was previously entered into the database within an appropriate threshold period.
Your pharmacist also records the name of the product and the quantity you have requested in the database.
Your pharmacist records your identification card number in a protected database held and operated by the Pharmacy Guild of Australia.
Upon requesting a pseudoephedrine-based product, your pharmacist asks to see an acceptable form of photographic identification
- Prescription Management Support
- Palliative Care Support
- Pain Management Service
- Residential Management Medication Review QUM
- Return of Unwanted Medicines Program (RUM)
- Scripts on file service
- Self Care Information – we can provide provided printed or emailed Self Care Information about a wide range of health topics. The information is evidence based and best practice, just ask us if you require credible information about any health topic
- Sleep Apnoea – Take Home Sleep Study
- Smoking Cessation
- Staged Supply –Berwick Pharmacy can assist with Staged Supply, which is a service we provide in conjunction with your doctor that involves the pharmacist supplying medicines at an agreed time interval.This service is useful if you find it difficult to take the correct amount of your medicines, especially if you are trying to decrease the dose of certain medications.If you believe you or someone you know would benefit from this service, please book a confidential meeting with one of our pharmacists.
- Travel Health Services – we can supply your travel vaccines as prescribed by your doctor and we have a wide range of travel accessories in the pharmacy
- Weight Management Support – support should focus on these areas:
emphasise improved health, such as lower blood cholesterol, and plan to reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease
emphasise a balanced approach to eating, including foods from all of the core food groups
focus on the loss of body fat (for example, waist measurement), not just total body weight
include regular exercise and physical activities
advise against a daily energy intake of less than 5,000 kJ
recommend a gradual weight loss of around one to four kilograms a month to begin with, and aim for 10–20 per cent loss of total body weight in the longer term
appreciate input from your doctor or healthcare professional
advise on how to improve long-term eating and exercise habits
offer ongoing support with your weight management, even when you have achieved your goal weight
At Berwick Pharmacy for some people we recommend the Optifast program which is a Very Low Calorie Diet.
A VLCD is a low carbohydrate, total food replacement for the dietary management of obesity.
It is a nutritionally complete program providing 800 calories or less per day.
It also contains the recommended daily requirements for:
- trace elements,
- fatty acids and
Very low calorie diets (also known as VLEDs or Very Low Energy Diets) have been shown to be very effective in the management of obesity, with weekly weight losses averaging approximately 1-2.5kg per week, providing greater initial weight loss than other forms of calorie restriction.
Reducing energy (calorie) intake to less than 800 calories as well as reducing carbohydrate intake leads to a whole body shift towards fat/lipid stores being utilised as the major source of energy, resulting in a consistent and successful weight loss.
Treatment with VLCDs has also been associated with improvements in:
- insulin sensitivity,
- blood pressure,
- sleep apnoea and
- blood sugar levels in adults.
The OPTIFAST® VLCD™ Program Intensive level is followed for a period of up to 12 weeks; this is then followed by a gradual re-introduction of food through the next three levels of the program.
This will not only teach you how to lose weight, it will also teach you how to make sustainable lifestyle changes that will help you keep the weight off long term.
- Wound Management Support