Skip to content
- Gastroenteritis is a short-term illness triggered by the infection and inflammation of the digestive system. Symptoms can include abdominal cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Some of the causes of gastroenteritis include viruses, bacteria, bacterial toxins, parasites, particular chemicals and some drugs.
- Good old-fashioned handwashing with soap and water is still the best defence against spreading the bug.
- Clean kitchen tops, toys, toilet seats, nappy change tables and taps to ensure you don’t spread the infection to others at home.
- If you or anyone in your household is ill, stay home for 48 hours after symptoms have stopped to ensure you are clear of infection.
- Read the fact sheet here